Educate at CKD stage 3, refer at CKD stage 4, and transplant at CKD stage 51,a
The following guidelines assist health care professionals in the field of kidney transplantation to evaluate and manage their patients.
To learn more, click on the individual guidelines.
to Help Improve Care
Sanofi is proud to support initiatives that give a voice to underrepresented minorities in the field of kidney transplantation.
To produce change, we must first identify the problem we intend to solve.
Watch our Disparities in Kidney Transplantation video to learn more about some of the staggering disparities faced by those in need of a kidney transplant.
to Address Workforce Disparities
Sanofi is committed to partnering with the transplant community in recognizing and addressing issues that may contribute to disparities in transplantation and is the proud exclusive sponsor of the ASTS Transplant Surgery Workforce Diversity Initiative.
Watch our Workforce Disparities in Kidney Transplantation video to learn more about inequities in the kidney transplant workforce.
to Support Transplant Education
We’re proud to partner with a diverse group of leading experts in transplantation to develop meaningful and current educational programs that can be tailored to the unique needs of your center.
- Does accepting high-risk kidneys adversely affect my center’s performance evaluations?
- What options are available for HCV+ and HIV+ recipients and donors?
- How can my center support paired kidney donations?
- What current techniques are available for diagnosing antibody-mediated rejection?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected kidney transplants across the US?
- How can centers support and improve living donor evaluation, education, and risk assessment?
Enhancing Evaluation of Living Kidney Donors: Road to Improving Donor Education and Risk Assessment
Sanofi has developed an educational slide presentation on living donors evaluation, education, and risk assessment that will be delivered by experts in the field.
- How do racial disparities affect the living kidney donor evaluation process, and what could contribute to this?
- What new tools are available to evaluate the risk of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) for living kidney donors, and how can these tools facilitate the donor evaluation process?
- How do differences in transplant center practices impact their number of living kidney donor transplants?
- What is the role of genetic testing in the living kidney donor evaluation process?
- What steps can be taken within the transplant community to better support living kidney donors and emphasize the need for living kidney donor follow-up?
Increasing Access to Kidney Transplantation
Sanofi has developed an educational slide presentation on the importance of increasing access to kidney transplantation that will be delivered by experts in the field.
- Review the benefits of kidney transplantation and the need to increase transplantation rates
- Compare transplantation outcomes of high-Kidney Donor Profile Index (KDPI) kidneys to remaining on dialysis and waiting for low-KDPI kidneys
- Discuss transplantation with underutilized sources of deceased donor kidneys
- Examine the benefits of living donor kidney transplant and available strategies to increase the living donor kidney pool
- Discuss programs and other resources designed to increase transplant knowledge and access through patient and caregiver education
Measuring Outcomes for Transplant: The Changing Measures of Transplant
Sanofi has developed an educational slide presentation on the importance of measuring outcomes for transplant by way of the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) that will be delivered by experts in the field.
- Describe the role of government and stakeholders for the SRTR
- Evaluate tools that can be used to improve transplant center performance
- Review changes and models in the SRTR reports
- Examine and discuss the impact of changes in Membership and Professional Standards Committee (MPSC) oversight for transplant centers
- Examine the 5-tier rating system as an outcome assessment for transplant programs
- Evaluate and discuss the effects of measured center performance on transplant center practice
Frailty and Kidney Transplantation: The Concept of Physiologic Reserve
Sanofi has developed an educational slide presentation on frailty and its impact on kidney transplantation that will be delivered by experts in the field.
- Introduce the concept of frailty and physiologic reserve
Explore the potential impact of frailty on clinical decision-making in
- Patients undergoing general surgery
- Patients with ESRD
- Patients undergoing transplant surgery
- Discuss the impact of pretransplant frailty on posttransplant clinical outcome
Updates in Kidney Allocation: Impact on Transplantation
Sanofi has developed an educational slide presentation on the updated kidney allocation policy in the US that will be delivered by experts in the field.
- Review the evolution of kidney allocation policies in the US
- Discuss the new kidney allocation policy implemented in March 2021, which focused on achieving a balance between equity and utility
- Highlight early outcomes data with the updated policy and future considerations for the transplant community
- Explore hypothetical case studies demonstrating the impact of the new kidney allocation policy on transplant centers and patients
There’s Strength in Connecting
Kidney Transplant Connectors are donors and recipients who come together to educate and motivate people in need of a kidney transplant and their loved ones by sharing their own journeys through transplantation.
The Kidney Transplant Connectors program is available in English and Spanish, both in-person and as a live webinar.
Each program is presented by 1 donor and 1 recipient, who share their personal journeys. Other highlights include
- The importance of self-advocacy and considering all available options to help reduce time spent on the transplant waitlist
- Tips to prepare for the transplant procedure and the period afterward
- Educational information and resources about transplant options
Partnering Together to Raise Awareness About Minority Donors
We are humbled to share the experiences of kidney donors to highlight disparities that exist with the transplant community and raise awareness about organ donation in minority communities.
Hear from donors and recipients as they share their experiences with kidney donation and transplantation
Reference: 1. Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN). https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/professionals/by-topic/guidance/educational-guidance-on-patient-referral-to-kidney-transplantation/. Accessed March 20, 2023.